THE JOURNEY BEGINS AT SCS
Kindergarten at SCS is a special time...in a special place...for special people. On any given day, our children may be acting out a Bible story, playing games, writing in their journals, singing songs, learning to read or praying. With group time, learning centres, and teacher guided movement activities, our kindergarten teacher provides a Christian basis for social and academic development. We emphasize experiential learning and play-based activities to best allow children to develop at their own pace while encouraging them to reach and enjoy their full potential.
SCS has an exceptional program, rooted in a faith setting, which sets the foundation for lifelong learning
- Play board games to practice taking turns.
- Set up play dates.
- Sort household items according to colour, size, and shape.
- Expect your child to clean up after play time.
- Practice counting to 20 and forming the numerals to 10.
- Teach your child basic shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle).
- Have your child practice following 2-step directions.
- Work with letters and sounds of the alphabet in a variety of ways.
- Teach your child to make various patterns (red, blue, red, blue). Use dot stickers, blocks, pompoms, etc.
- Read to your child at least 20 minutes a day. Point to the words, talk about the pictures, discuss the story.
- Read early and read often. It is never too early to begin reading to your child.
- Introduce new words in conversation with your child.
- Trace and say letters with your child.
- Read it again and again.
- Talk about letters and the sounds they make.
- Don't leave home without a book or magazine.
- Be patient when your child is trying to figure out a new word.
- Pick books that are the right level for your child to read.
- Take turns reading out loud at bedtime.
- Write it out. Ask your child to help write the grocery list or a note to Grandma.